Setting up a WordPress Site in Azure in 10 minutes
In this blog post, I will share the step-by-step process to create a WordPress website in Azure in under 10 Minutes. As a pre-requisite, you need to have an active Azure subscription.
Here are the steps –
- Login to Azure Portal and click on “Create a resource” link on top left corner:
- Type “WordPress” in the search box in the New window and press enter –
- Click on Create –
- Enter an app name, choose your Azure subscription, and chose the option to create a new resource group –
- For database provider, there are two options – you can either opt to setup a managed MySQL database instance or an in-app MySQL database which shares all the resources with the app service. For my use, I selected in-app MySQL database –
- Click on App Service Plan and click on “+ Create New” to create a new app service plan to host our web app. Give a name for the app service plan and choose location and pricing tier for the app service plan –
- If you want to use a different pricing tier, click on the selected pricing tier. It opens a new blade for Spec Picker. Choose a pricing tier that suits your needs.
- Click OK on “New App Service Plan” blade.
- If you want to use an existing application Insights instance or create a new one for monitoring your app service, enable the service by clicking on Application Insights on “Create” blade –
- Click Apply on “Application Insights” blade and then click create
- Once you click create, the deployment will be triggered –
- It might take a minute or two to complete the deployment. Once deployment is complete, click on go to resource –
- It will open the “App Service” blade for the app service that was just created –
- Click on the URL on the top right corner. It will open up the newly created WordPress site –
- Choose the language and click continue. Provide the requested information and click on “Install WordPress” to complete the installation –
- It will take less than a minute to install WordPress on your web app. Once done, click on Login to login into your WordPress web site-
- Enter the user name and password you provided while setting up WordPress –
- Your WordPress site is setup on Azure App Service. You can now configure your WordPress site hosted on Azure –
I hope you will find it helpful!