2020 – A year of reflection
It is the time of the year to step back, reflect on the past glories and plan for the future.
What a year 2020 has been! It has certainly not been a normal year. From conducting user group meetings to speaking at conferences and receiving my first MVP award, the year has been one of the craziest for me personally. And the pandemic just added to the craziness. Here is a short recap of what I have accomplished in 2020:
- Organized 20 meetings for Omaha Azure User group (2 in-person and 18 virtual). One virtual meeting was a half-day event with back-to-back five sessions as part of the Global Azure event. Here is the website for the user group – https://omahaaug.com/
- Presented at 22 different user groups, events, and conferences on Azure-related topics.
- Received my very first Microsoft Most Valuable Professional (MVP) award in the category of Microsoft Azure.
- Joined Microsoft Certified Trainer (MCT) program for the very first time.
- My blog crossed over 20000 views this year and is listed among “Top 50 Azure blogs to follow”. Here is the link to my blog – https://vaibhavgujral.com/
- Cleared two new certification exams (DP-300 and DP-201).
- Created few youtube videos on Azure. Here is the link to my YouTube channel – https://www.youtube.com/c/vaibhavgujral2802
- Earned Azure content hero and community hero badgers.
- Made so many new friends on Twitter, LinkedIn, and other technical communities.
Now, when I look back, I feel so proud to have accomplished all the things listed above. This wouldn’t have been possible without the unconditional support of family, friends, and community members. I would like to take this opportunity to thank each one of them for all the support they have provided me in this journey so far.
The journey was not easy and it demanded hard work and time. There were successes and failures. Here are some of the lessons I learned in 2020 –
- Go with the flow. Don’t wait for the right time to come.
- Make the best use of the opportunity as it comes.
- Say yes to opportunities you are interested in, even though you don’t know how to do that. If you are really interested in something, you will figure out how to do it.
- Don’t be afraid to reach out to the community for help. There are so many great people out there and chances are you will get help sooner than you think (you just need to call for help!).
- Play with your own rulebook. Take inspiration from others, but, play your own league!
- Don’t ever compare yourself with others! Everyone is unique!
- It’s okay to make mistakes till the time you learn from them! Don’t feel shy to accept your mistakes.
- You can always learn something from everyone.
- Be your best advocate. If you will be not, then no one else will be.
- Lastly, nothing is permanent. This too shall pass.
2020 has been a great year for me and I have a few plans for 2021 which I am working towards. I will be revealing those at the right time and I hope I will keep getting the support I have received in 2020. In short, I am looking forward to what 2021 brings on!
I would like to wish you all a very happy and prosperous new year 2021! Stay safe and stay healthy!